Seven Secrets to Banishing Bad Breath
There’s no way to sugarcoat it – bad breath is embarrassing. Fortunately, with proper dental care and some helpful home remedies, bad breath can be conquered. Most often, the offender can be traced to a buildup of bad bacteria in the mouth, so good oral hygiene is essential. Other causes include foods, smoking, dry mouth, medications, gum disease, and sinus conditions.
Chronic bad breath, called halitosis, is often a sign of early-stage gum disease. If you brush and floss regularly and still can’t defeat bad breath, consult your dentist. After an examination, he or she can diagnose the root cause of bad breath and recommend the proper method of treatment. The following fresh-breath secrets may also improve your oral aroma:
- Floss! – Food particles stuck between teeth emit a foul odor as they decay – need we say more?
- Scrape – A tongue scraper will remove bacteria trapped beneath taste buds.
- Rinse – Many commercial mouth rinses temporarily freshen breath, but rinsing with a baking soda or peroxide solution can help fight odor-causing bacteria.
- Change Your Toothbrush – Avoid spreading bad bacteria by replacing your toothbrush every three months.
- Wet Your Whistle – Sipping water throughout the day prevents dehydration and washes away vagrant food particles.
- Beware of Beverages – Coffee, beer, wine, and whiskey top the list of liquid offenders.
- Spice Things Up – Keep some fresh sprigs of parsley or mint leaves at your disposal as quick, natural breath fresheners. Cloves, cardamom, and fennel also have odor-fighting powers.
Dr. Brunner, Dr. Taibl, Dr. Tack, Dr. McGinn, and our entire team look forward to serving your family. Call our Brookfield, WI dental office at 262-784-7201 today to schedule your appointment. We’re open early mornings and evenings for your convenience. Located in Brookfield, our office serves patients from Elm Grove, Milwaukee, Pewaukee, Waukesha, and New Berlin.