2 Locations to Conveniently Serve You
You’ve probably been brushing your teeth all by yourself since—well, since you no longer needed a stepstool to reach the faucet, that’s for sure! So, think you’re doing a good job? That may be so, but a review of the basics can never hurt and, in fact, you may just find that you can improve your technique and brush even better. Read on to find out what your Brookfield, WI, dentist at Elmbrook Family Dental has to say about improving your daily oral hygiene routine.
- Take your time. We understand that life can get really busy, especially in the morning when you’re racing to get yourself ready, the kids ready and everyone out the door on time. However, effective tooth brushing takes some time—but not much. Two full minutes is all you need to really do a good job. So set a timer, hum a happy, do some lunges or whatever it takes to spend two minutes with your teeth and brush.
- Angle your toothbrush. Hold your toothbrush at about a 45-degree angle to your teeth and gums. This will allow you to brush the surface of your teeth as well as along the gum line so you can remove any plaque that might be accumulating there.
- Round and round. Brush in a small circular motion and focus on just two or three teeth at a time. Move methodically around your mouth so you are certain to brush all of your teeth and all of the surfaces of your teeth.
- Change your brush. The dentists at Elmbrook Family Dental recommend changing your toothbrush at least every three months and in between that time period if you’ve been ill. After three months, the bristles start to wear and can’t clean your teeth as well.
- Brush twice a day. Brush you teeth at least twice each day, but no more than three times a day. Yes, you can brush your teeth too often, which might lead to enamel wear as well as gum injury or recession.
Call Your Brookfield, WI, Dentist Today
To learn more about how you can take better care of your teeth at home, or to schedule one of your twice-yearly dental cleanings and exams at Elmbrook Family Dental, call our office today. The dentists and their staff in Brookfield, WI, will be glad to help you and your families have healthy and happy smiles!