With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, you want to make a good impression, right? Whether you’ve been with your significant other for a few weeks or several years, you want your smile to look and feel its best. But what can you do to ensure you’re not left feeling embarrassed? Read on to find out what you can do to improve the health of your teeth and gums, so your dating life doesn’t suffer.
The Link Between Dating and Dental Health
According to a Match.com survey of more than 5,000 people, healthy teeth were deemed the most important “must-have” for 58% of men and 71% of women. A survey performed in the United Kingdom found that an estimated 45% of men and women believed bad breath or yellow/crooked teeth were deal-breakers with a foul odor leading the way as the most obvious “turn-off.”
While, yes, your overall appearance does play a part in a successful dating life, how your teeth appear, and how your breath smells can be the definite “yes” or “no” to sealing a second date. The reasons might be obvious, but when you don’t give enough attention to your oral health, it begins to show externally, causing others to believe you don’t care enough about your appearance or overall well-being.
And, if you’re reluctant to show off your smile because of your embarrassment, this, too, can lead to a bad first impression. Instead of appearing friendly and welcoming, you may look angry, sad, untrustworthy, or aggressive.
Ways to Take Better Care of Your Smile
Whether you’ve been rejected because of your oral health, or you simply want to start making better choices to avoid any potential problems with your significant other, here are a few easy tips to follow:
- Establish a trusted oral hygiene routine. This means brushing, flossing, and rinsing each day. Ideally, you should be brushing twice a day for two minutes, flossing after every meal or at least once a day before bedtime, and rinsing with an ADA-approved mouthwash.
- Keep your regular dental checkups and cleanings every six months. This allows your dentist to examine your mouth and check for signs of decay, gum disease, and cavities. They’ll also eliminate hardened plaque and tartar to reduce your risk of gingivitis or periodontitis.
- Eat a healthy diet full of leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and low-fat dairy instead of reaching for sugary and starchy foods that can cause tooth decay.
- Seek a specialist if you have crooked, misaligned teeth and need orthodontic treatment.
- Talk to your cosmetic dentist about available treatments (i.e., veneers, teeth whitening, etc.) to conceal your flaws and improve your appearance.
Taking these steps will put you on the right path to achieving your smile goals. They’ll also make sure your upcoming date leads to a second, third, and maybe even a fourth. If you take the time to maintain better oral health, you’ll never know where your dating life can lead to.
About the Practice
Elmbrook Family Dental is here to provide the services you need to feel better about your smile. Offering an array of comprehensive care, we can position you to embrace greater oral hygiene and a more beautiful aesthetic, so you are more prepared for an upcoming date or interview. Visit our website to learn how easy it can be to transform your smile.